A hammer in search of a nail…

Game Board Frames

Laura wanted to hang some board games in the study and asked me to make a few frames.

Here are three of them on the wall:

Game Boards

Game Boards

Here are close-ups of each frame.

Monopoly:

Monopoly

Monopoly

Risk

Risk

Risk

Sorry!

Sorry!

Sorry!

Payday

Payday

Payday

The frames are 1×2 poplar boards ripped in half to get to a final size of roughly 3/4″ square.  I put a groove on all four sides and a tongue at the bottom and tops of the sides of the frames (which you can see in the bottom corner of the frame in this picture):

Tongue and Groove

Tongue and Groove

I then used the tablesaw with a dado blade to cut the center of the top board to 1/4″ thickness.  This allows the game boards to be slid in and out from the top of the frame if we want to use them to play (or swap them out for different game boards).  Laura stained the Risk frame and used danish oil on the other three.

We think they nicely complement the Monopoly coasters Laura made from some photo coasters and Monopoly property cards:

Monopoly properties coasters

Monopoly properties coasters

This was roughly a two day project.  We knocked out the Risk frame on the first weekend and the remaining three on the subsequent weekend.

Thanks for watching!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: