When we last left the bookcases, they were “mostly” done, but we were still hadn’t added the crown molding. We added the crown molding months ago, but I never took pictures of them to put up on the blog. So without further ado, here is a close-up of the crown molding.
And this is the final view of the bookcase with the crown molding in place:
We think the final result turned out great and we added a lot of additional storage to the study!
We picked up the crown molding for the bookcases and decided we liked it so much we’re going to go all the way around the room (so we went back and picked up some more). That will need to be primed and painted before we install it. In the meantime, we finally unboxed our books from the move and loaded up the shelves. Laura then did some shopping for “decorations” for some final touches.
If you remember the discussion I had about whether or not to move the power outlet to the baseboard (and the decision against it), we ended up getting a lamp to sit above that on the “permanent” shelf. I had to cut a hole through the shelf and installed a white plastic grommet (like you see in the top of a work desk) to allow the cord to go down to the bottom (and behind the lower shelf, which is adjustable).
So here are the bookcases mostly complete and the room is back to normal. Just need to add the crown molding next!
When we last left the bookcases, all the woodworking was done (except the crown molding) and it was ready for priming and painting. Well, here’s a picture of the primed bookcases (shelves were primed in the basement):
And here are the bookcases after painting:
Follow the link to see the bookcases with all the shelves added…
So Laura and I did some more work on the bookcases: before Memorial Day weekend, we attached them to the wall and did some priming of the cases. Then last weekend, I added most of the face frames and put all the shelves together. Here’s a picture of the progress:
Partially Primed Bookcases
The baseboard has to be installed (and crown moulding will go on top to take it all the way to the ceiling). Then we need to prime the whole thing and paint it.
As I mentioned previously, Laura wants a set of bookcases in the new house’s study. We decided to build these ourselves. Below is the initial start of the cases: several sheets of plywood have been ripped into lengths for the sides, tops, bottoms, and shelves.
The cases will have poplar frames covering the plywood to provide a nice trim look. Here’s a lot of that wood stacked on the workbench.
Read after the jump to see what we’ve done with that wood…